Hub, Everybody’s Gym……. This wasn’t just a strap line that we came up with because it sounded and looked good for Branding – it says everything about the environment and approach that we wanted to embed into the community and the way in which we live our lives. It has been a few years now since Hub Everybody’s Gym was born and the time seems right to review how things have gone and what comes next.
Some people will say that when striving to achieve a successful business Customer Service is the priority and others will say it is the Team that is important. For me I fail to see how you can deliver one without the other and whilst it has taken a good many years to find the right ingredient for a great team, I truly feel that we now have the best and most talented Hub Family possible to achieve.
Let’s take a moment to remind ourselves of the Hub Team
- Claire Laura– Owner, Personal Trainer & Class Instructor
- Linda Probert – Member of the Management team and lover of all things #Hublife
- James Grogan – Head CrossFit Coach, Athlete, Personal Trainer, British Weightlifting Coach and Chalk enthusiast
- Aimee Schools– Hub Trainee Assistant Manager and could be considered a Ballet Barre task master by many.
- James Allen – Fitness & Gym Instructor who has been with us from his first day as an Apprentice to someone who consumes every opportunity to learn & improve
- Charlie James – Gym Instructor, Personal Trainer & Calisthenics Coach with training delivered in a way that would be hard for anyone to replicate
- Maddie Fry– CrossFit Coach, Athlete, Gymnastics Coach and Gymnastics Champion
- Kyla Probert – Our youngest member of the team and an invaluable CrossFit Kids coach
- Rakan Sabbah– Gym Instructor & PT for whom there is never a dull moment in is presence
- Sarah Matyjasik – Newest member of the Team for whom you will long forget you cannot pronounce her surname correctly when she is putting you through a PT session
- Jeff Nutt – lovingly referred to as Jeff Mutt by the Transformation Ladies – PT extraordinaire and true master of his profession
- Jane Lewis – Sales, Marketing & Information, hugely important to us
- Abi Slee– Gym Instructor, the longest serving member of the team and greatly respected by us and her clients
- Mike Varney & Steve Gillingham– Spinning Masters, remembered not just for their excellent classes but the kind of lycra outfits that only a very brave man would wear who was totally comfortable in their skin
- James St Leger – CrossFit Coach, Athlete, Physique Master Trainer and very talented individual
- Andy Cleeves – Gym, Martial Arts Instructor and Personal Trainer with accolades too numerous to mention in the world of Martial Arts
My desire has been to create something that appeals to everyone and that is one of the reasons why we doubled in size 18 months ago by opening CrossFit Portishead & building a combat zone. The CrossFit Box is an extension of the Hub, whilst they may be run in different ways with different membership structures we remain a Hub of fitness enthusiasts. Many members have become enthusiasts of both options by taking out a dual membership, which whilst not an approach for the majority, truly epitomises the approach I was looking to provide.
When I think of you, our Hub members (Hubbers), I could not be prouder of your achievements; some have joined a Ladies Transformation having never stepped into a gym before and are now hardcore members and supporters, we have champions of many varieties – Bodybuilding, CrossFit, Martial Arts, Pole Gymnastics, but most importantly our members support any and all Charity events – Thank you!
In recent weeks there has been some feedback from a very small minority that set me thinking and really prompted this blog. As a result of that feedback & the ensuing conversations now is a great opportunity to be clear that by providing a gym, studio, high- low-medium impact classes, spin, yoga, martial arts, CrossFit, weightlifting, PT, kids classes & events, all under one roof, means it is Everybody’s Gym – there is no divide between our Gym environment or a CrossFit Box other than it represents an individual spending time doing whatever makes them happy. Doing what makes you happy should never be to the detriment of someone else’s happiness and therefore we will not tolerate any behaviour that causes another to feel uncomfortable (This is not a swipe at Mike & Steve’s lycra, we all just have to put up with that).
There will be times when there is a lot going on in the gym in the different areas, it might be noisy, it might be too cold for some and too hot for others, you might love the music playing at the time, or you might not, you might have to wait at reception for 30 seconds whilst the receptionist takes a quick comfort break or is refilling the blue towel holder, before hot footing it back to let you in, your favourite instructor might be on holiday or sick, the toilet paper might run out, your favourite piece of equipment might be ‘busy’ or you might not be able to use an area because we are coaching kids – the Stars of tomorrow, but I can guarantee you that myself & the Hub team spend every moment trying to meet your requirements and ensure you are getting value for money.
So what comes next you may ask – well I will continue to reinvest where appropriate, I will continue to ensure that myself & the team remain up to speed on all the latest elements of Fitness & Health, I will continue to evolve the Timetable as & when it needs it, I will keep any areas that start to get shabby spruced up, I will continue to worry about the studio flooding if the rain falls in a particular way, I will continue to keep those toilets bleached to within an inch of their lives and I will never implement a Joining or an Admin fee. Portishead is where it began for us and where we endeavour to remain a driving force, there are plans for a second gym in Chepstow (mainly because my Mum keeps moaning that Portishead is too far now) and we keep our fingers crossed that all goes according to plan for that one. Who knows maybe The Hub will go Worldwide (then there will be nothing for Mum to moan about when she is on her holidays).
I have one ask of you please if you can…….if you have never tried CrossFit perhaps give it a go, just once, if you have only ever been a Cross Fitter consider doing a class with Charlie or Rakan or myself – who knows you might like it.
I leave you with one photo that I believe sums it all up nicely – 3 generations, one roof, one goal –Everybody’s Gym
Claire and the Hub Team